Here are some simple tricks to get your pasta perfectly al dente:
1. Use a large pot with PLENTY of water or you risk the pasta to stick together .
2. Salt the water, but skip the oil (it doesn’t do any good anyway).
3. Cook the pasta very undercooked, about 2-3 minutes shorter than the directions. When you test to chew the pasta, the core or center must be really hard. (Forget throwing spaghetti at the wall, as one would do in home economics in school, then it is completely overcooked.)
4. Pour off the water in a colander, but do not rinse with water.
5. Mix the pasta thoroughly with the sauce you will serve in the pan on the hot plate. The pasta will have a perfect structure when serving at the table.
6. Put the pasta and sauce on a large platter and add some extra sauce on the top. E voila, perfectly cooked pasta! Buon appetito! 🙂